Friday 14 June 2013

UP IN DA CLUB

Hello to all

First of all let me offer a warm welcome to our new manager Roberto Martinez, I have a real buzz for the new season and cant wait to see a bit of a re-shuffle and change in tactics at Goodison. Yes we may have to wave goodbye to mans like Felli and Bainsy but 40 million notes will do nicely; unless that cheef Kenwright pockets it that is!

Good luck Roberto, lets bring excitement and European footy back to the park!



Fishing time now folks, as I wrote last time about my new found love of Carp fishing, I followed this up by joining a Carp fishing club. I had received an invite from the ever eccentric angling legend that is Zyg Gregorek to join his syndicate the 5C's. I decided to take him up on the offer and soon found myself heading up to Anglers Paradise to meet some of the other members and take part in a rather strange initiation ritual. All the members have done it said Zyg as I had a bin load of fresh pond weed ( bugs n all ) tipped over my head. If that wasn't enough I then had a bag of ice stuffed down the front of me keks and had to sit there in silence for an hour or so while the rest of the members went about the monthly meeting. I looked a right wally an me thingy had basically inverted its-self to escape the harsh touch of the ice, but I survived the ordeal and went on to part 2 of the process. Next we headed down to Zygs Boat house on the Main carp lake where I would have to walk the plank then take a swim round an island to collect an item than swim back to the boat house were the initiation would be completed with a shot of fine malt. That bit was a piece of cake for a part time ninja such as myself but the ice down the pants......ooooooh! would'nt wanna do that again lol.

The following weekend I returned for a 24 hour session on the main lake in search of Carp, I was joined by fellow 5C's member an good pal Dom Garnett. After a quick walk round the lake we discovered we had the
whole place to our selves,( which was nice ) we set up in the sun bathed shallows and spent the day supping cider in the sun whilst attempting to catch one off the surface.The carp proved to be very cunning when it came to the floaters but I did have one clear chance, but fluffed it to my dismay.

The light was quickly fading as the day drew to an end so I decided to pack the floater fishing in and get my rigs in place for the oncoming darkness.I fished both rods at around ten yards amongst the weedy pads on a patch around the size of a snooker table.The area then took a bombardment of chopped boiley and a mixed selection of pellet which all took a good soaking in tutti fruity glug, both rods were fished on 2oz in line leads with short hook links comprising of size 8 Arma points tied up on 20lb Cortex with a small piece of shrink tube steamed over the eye of the hook to give it that extra bit of sting.

With that all sorted it was then just a case of playing the waiting game, to say the evening was nice would be an under statement.The sky looked amazing, I haven't seen that many stars since I camped out in the Andes. A strangely warm but cooling breeze drifted over the lake setting a lovely scene for a fish or two. Dom was first off the mark with a cracking zip linear of 19lb 8oz's, what a start we both agreed! After a few quick pictures she was slipped back to go about her daily ambles,We sat back in victory only to interrupted by the sound of a screaming buzzer, I was thankful that it was one of mine disturbing the peace; as I picked up my rod which instantly crunched into submission. As I connected to the fish my spool started to melt, Cat on! I yelled! an unstoppable run saw the fish get round what felt like a  proper snag which I thought would end my fun. I could feel the line grating as I piled on a serious amount of pressure testing the tackle to its limit, eventually I persuaded the fish into open water but I still had the chore of getting it through the pads and into my landing net.I was beginning to worry about the state of my line after extracting the cat out of the snag but it seemed lady luck was on my side as a lengthy Cat was just about bundled into the net.


Not what I was after but a 35lb 7oz Cat was a great consolation prize and a good first fish.I inspected my line and just as I thought it was shredded above the leader splaying off tears in the mono filament.Good job I was using 20lb main line, I reset the trap after removing all the damaged line and re rigging etc. Then gave the swim a good top up before changing clothes and retiring to the comfort of my sleeping bag. At 2 30am I had another flat liner of a run but this time on my other rod. After a good fight I dipped the net to scoop up a common (which looked to be a good twenty) only to spook the fish back into the pads where my barbless hook proceeded lose contact.I soon had a fresh bait back out and drifted off for a while before I was woken up the alarm alerting me of another take, this time I had my way with the fish that was again a lump of a Carp.


This beautiful 22lb 4oz fully scaled was my prize and the action didn't stop there, The whole initiation seemed worthwhile and I can't wait to get back down!




Til next time

Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment